2 stars 2 stars

Museum Neofit Rilski - Bansko

Price comment  Price:
Bansko, 17, ul. Pirin

The house museum of founder of Bulgarian education and the first Bulgarian encyclopedic Neofit Rilski (1793 - 1881) is located adjacent to the church "St. Trinity "in Bansko. The building is known by the name Benina house was built in XVIII century.

Benina house is situated in a large courtyard surrounded by massive stone walls and heavy wooden gate. The building is a typical representative of typical fortified house. Receives the status of architectural monument in 1967. Оn the ground floor it has a cache, „mesilnya” and business premises, and on the second floor- living room, porch and religious school. Large balcony with outdoor terrace connects the house with former outbuildings.

Nicolas Poppetrov Benin as secular name of Neofit Rilski, was born in 1793 in Bansko. He studied iconography with the founder of the Bansko School of Art Thomas Vishanov-Molera. Paints in the Rila Monastery, where he later became a monk and then abbot of the monastery. Devoted his entire life to science, culture and education and is author of the first Bulgarian grammar.

Today in the house is arranged exhibition, in chronological order are displayed materials that reveal the activity of Neofit Rilski. Among the exhibits occupies a special place "Bulgarian grammar" of 1835, parts of the Greek-Bulgarian dictionary and books from his personal library.

Talk to the museum costs 5 leva, a free day is Monday. Museum has no day off, but there is lunch break between 13 and 14h.

Working hours: 09:00 to 17:30

Bansko - Attraction Museum Neofit Rilski - Bansko - Picture 1 Bansko - Attraction Museum Neofit Rilski - Bansko - Picture 2 Bansko - Attraction Museum Neofit Rilski - Bansko - Picture 3 Bansko - Attraction Museum Neofit Rilski - Bansko - Picture 4